1 grossly offensive to decency or morality; causing horror; "subjected to outrageous cruelty"; "a hideous pattern of injustice"; "horrific conditions in the mining industry" [syn: horrid, horrific, outrageous]
2 so extremely ugly as to be terrifying; "a hideous scar"; "a repulsive mask" [syn: repulsive]
Etymologyhidous, hidous, hidos, hidus, hisdos, hisdous, hideux: confer hide, hisde, fright; of uncertain origin; confer egidī horror, or hispidosus, for hispidus rough, bristly, hispid.
- a UK /ˈhɪd.iː.ʌs/ /"hId.i:.Vs/
- Frightful, shocking, or offensive to the eyes; dreadful to
behold; as, a hideous monster; hideous looks.
- A piteous and hideous spectacle." Macaulay.
- Distressing or offensive to the ear; exciting terror or dismay; as, a hideous noise. Hideous cries." Shak.
- Hateful; shocking. Sure, you have some hideous matter to deliver." Shak. Syn. -- Frightful; ghastly; grim; grisly; horrid; dreadful; terrible.
Distressing or offensive to the ear
Hideous may refer to:
hideous in French: Hideous
abhorrent, abominable, appalling, astounding, atrocious, awe-inspiring, awesome, awful, baneful, beastly, contemptible, damnable, dire, direful, disgusting, dread, dreaded, dreadful, exceptionable, execrable, fell, forbidding, formidable, foul, frightful, ghastly, ghoulish, grim, grisly, grotesque, gruesome, hateful, heinous, horrendous, horrible, horrid, horrific, horrifying, ill-favored, ill-looking, inadmissible, loathsome, lurid, macabre, monstrous, morbid, nasty, nauseating, nauseous, odious, offensive, outrageous, redoubtable, repellent, repelling, repugnant, repulsive, revolting, rotten, schrecklich, shocking, sickening, terrible, terrific, terrifying, tragic, tremendous, ugly, unacceptable, unbeautiful, uncomely, undesirable, unsightly, unspeakable, unwanted, unwelcome, vile